Principal Mechanical Engineer
The Principal Mechanical Engineer will drive innovation for wafer and panel ECD and PVD processing equipment to ensure that ASM-NEXX equipment remains ahead of customer requirements. This includes sub-system and critical part conceptualization, fabrication and testing, in coordination with the process engineering and manufacturing engineering teams.
Key Responsibilities and Duties / Essential Functions:
Design process hardware and automation systems for next generation ECD and PVD equipment based on requirements from process engineers and customers.
- Perform CAD design of hardware that uses a wide variety of metal, plastic, elastomer and coatings fabrication methods and work with vendors as necessary to optimize for performance and cost.
- Perform calculations and simulations, for example in COMSOL, MATLAB, or other software as appropriate, to refine design concepts prior to fabrication and test. Fluid flow, mechanical stress, thermal, and motion system simulations.
- Perform detailed tolerance analysis as required, and ensure drawings or MBD packages clearly and accurately communicate fabrication and assembly requirements for the ASM-NEXX supply chain.
- Work with electrical engineers, process experts, and software engineers to define sub-system electrical, pneumatic and control logic using process and instrumentation diagram (P&ID) drawings.
- Coordinate with the manufacturing team to include DFMA analysis for new designs and to ensure prototypes move smoothly into manufacturing.
- Create test protocols to verify hardware or system performance and reliability. Direct the building of test-stands required to validate concepts and estimate long-term reliability.
- Solve process equipment issues using best-in-class tools such as troubleshooting matrices, fishbone diagrams, FMEA and other structured problem solving methods.
- Mentor junior engineers.
Education and Experience:
- PhD or MS in mechanical or materials engineering
- 10 or more years’ experience with equipment engineering, preferably in the semiconductor manufacturing equipment industry
- Expertise in CAD modeling, GD&T, and BOM structuring for manufacturing
Qualifications and Skills:
- Must be fluent in English, both written and verbal.
- Ability to prioritize objectives and manage time.
- Strong knowledge of mechanical engineering.
- Proficient in Solidworks or similar design software.
- Skilled in the use of MATLAB, MathCad, or similar systems for simulations.
- Project management skills and a working knowledge of MS Office and MS Project.
- Knowledge of FMEA and other problem-solving methods. Apply problem-solving skills to apply creative solutions.
Domestic or international travel may be required, approximately 10-20%
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
To apply, click HERE.